An Architecture competition initiated by IAI Jakarta and TIS, the aim is to revitalized Pasar Baroe district without leaving the historical elements itself. Pasar Baroe founded in 1820 and became the biggest historical shopping area for local and foreign tourist in Jakarta until now. Most of sellers here are come from India and China.
Djehovan found many issue on the existing area, they are :
- Illegal parking, caused a traffic jam when the vehicles are stop and parking at the side of the road
- Street Vendors, sellers along the main pedestrian are disorganized, they used the half area of pedestrian ways
- Flood, every year this place is hit by flood
- Pedestrian, pedestrian ways used by motorcycle causing inconvenience for pedestrian to walk by and also the roof along pedestrian ways are broken
- Character, the building along pedestrian way lost it’s original character and conservation building are not maintaned
Based on that issue, Djehovan create design approach to solve the in-site problems. They are :
- Transportation HUB, create a HUB between Juanda Train station and Busway Shelter that has parking building facilities so the visitors can easily access to Pasar Baroe
- One Way Route, create one way for vehicles circulation and take serious action againts illegal parking
- Adjustable Bollard, put bollard as a barrier in Pedestrian ways so the vehicles can not enter. This bollard can be opened at a certain time
- Alternative Way, create an alternative way for street vendor so they can still selling without disturbing the circulation of pedestrian ways and also put some public facilities such as toilet and open foodcourt
- Workshift, implement a shift system of working hours on the street vendor and will be rotated every week
- Heal The River, Ciliwung river along the Pasar Baroe will be revitalized and given additional facilities such as water filter and trash controller
- Riverwalk, create a water ways that used as a public transportation for boat/kano and also as a controllers the flow of water to prevent flooding
- Urban Landscape, create an interactive green pedestrian ways and supporting streetscape for the pedestrian
- Building Conservation, conservation program and restoration for historical building
- Second Skin, create a secondary skin for new building so they can easily blended with the old historical building and also equalize the visual theme of artchitecture
Based on that design approach, Djehovan comes up with the idea of “Urban Oase”. Titled Pasar Baroe “The Urban Oase” is a concept where the visitors can feel the historical atmosphere of the site and also enjoy they shopping moment.
Visitor can just walk in or ride boat/kano to discover the district of Pasar Baroe. According to the theme, “The Urban Oase” presents not only place for shopping but also place for recreation and learn history.
COMPETITION RESULT : SUBMISSION ENTRY